He regretted that many soldiers had been killed in the renewed onslaught.
Zulum disclosed these in an interview with State House correspondents after a meeting he had with Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Monday night.
The governor said he decided to meet with Buhari because he felt it was his responsibility to tell the President the truth.
He said the North-East needed support if the war against insurgency must be won.
Zulum said, “In Borno particularly, brigade headquarters was attacked, many soldiers, men and officers of the Nigerian Army were killed.
“Let me use this opportunity to extend my condolences to the families of the deceased. May God, in His infinite wisdom, forgive them.
“I think it is my own responsibility to come and say the truth to Mr President. Let him know what is going on in the entire North-East sub-region.
“I think there is the need for us to get support for us to succeed in this war against insurgents. It is very pathetic.
“Few days ago, Damasak was attacked, hundreds of people started fleeing Damasak and now Geidam (in Yobe State) is almost deserted, many people have left Geidam.”
When asked what could have been responsible for the deteriorating security situation in the North-East, the governor said it appeared the military had yet to take delivery of some of the equipment ordered for.