Queen Elizabeth II will reportedly no longer do solo official events following her recent health scare.
The 95-year-old monarch who “reluctantly” cancelled a trip to Northern Ireland last week in order to stay overnight in a London hospital for “preliminary tests” on unspecified health issues, will be accompanied by one of her children or grandchildren in official events moving forward.
The Telegraph reported that though the Queen was back on “light duties” from home in Windsor Castle a day after her hospitalization, the royal family has begun working on a new model to ensure that she is always accompanied by a senior royal, such as her son Prince Charles and his wife Duchess Camilla, in future public engagements.
With the new arrangement, Queen Elizabeth would get the chance to rest if needed without disappointing the public with a complete royal no-show, according to the outlet.
Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince William, the second in line to the British throne, and his wife Kate Middleton are “both keen to provide any support they can,” an unnamed source told the outlet.
An insider added;
“If there is any way they can support Her Majesty on her engagements, they will.”
The Times of London reported that the monarch did not attend a church service on Sunday October 24. Her attendance at other upcoming events remains uncertain as doctors have ordered her to rest.
But an unnamed source told U.K.’s The Times that “it’s not uncommon for Her Majesty to be accompanied by family members.”
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the Telegraph’s report about the new plan. The palace did not disclose what the “preliminary tests” were for, but it was confirmed that her overnight stay in the hospital was not related to COVID-19 and instead was said to be for practical reasons, the BBC reported.